Prototype Development

 

I started my prototype by designing the assets that would be that surface upon which the player would move and the player itself. To create the ground surface i used game object > plane and then I proceeded to edit the colour and material of the surface to achieve the desired effect for the game. Secondly I went about creating the player character using a series of game objects known as cubes and a sphere.  By editing the shape of these game objects I was able to create a humanoid block shape that the user would control. By creating a folder called player and sticking each one of the assets (with exception the the surface) into this folder which was within the hierarchy, I was able to give each game object one rigidbody component and one playercontroller.cs script for the entire body's individual parts by assigning these components and scripts directly to the folder. With the skills I had learnt from the Unit 3  tutorials I have been able to implement all the necessary skills for the prototytpe such as jumping and moving the game along so the player will be forced to jump over the obstacles.

                                            My Prototype:



There were times at which I struggled especially in regards to the player itself as when I originally had the player jump the first issue I encountered was the entire body falling apart into its original pieces and the second was that the body would drag out to the left and out of bounds but I have not set an out of bounds "Game Over" as this was not intended to be a part of the prototype.  

Comments

  1. Hi Cormac, It is nice to see progress on your game so far. It is quite unfortunate that you have run into this error in your development stage. I am sure when you go back on unity you can most likely find a solution to this problem. I found looking at the comments on the tutorials very helpful and you should probably have a look too. I hope this comment finds you well. Best of luck with the rest of your game. - Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cormac, It's great to see you flying at the prototyping. Ill have to ask you for help in class! I made my player the same as you. Putting a load of spheres and cubes together. Have you made your obstacles yet? Just wondering what kind of obstacles are you thinking of making and would you be making them the same way? I really mean it about helping me with my script btw! haha. Kev

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cormac.

    Your games looks similar to mine. Even better. I didn't download any assets though, I made them by myself. I love the visuals of your game so far. That includes the colour of the road, the character, and the wall. I feel that the thing that you struggled with means that your further in developing the game than you know when your player goes out of bounds. One can argue that it means that you are closer to making your prototype look like a real game than you think. I would recommend adding in some obstacles and awards that will make your game more engaging. Or some item boosts (like the ones in Mario or something similar). You're doing a great job and I'm certain that it will all work out in the end.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts