Game Research

 I have decided to pursue my first game idea of a runner similar to games like "Mirror's Edge" or mobile games like "Temple Run" or "Subway Surfers". When it came to considering potential game mechanics that would be used the game I began to do a little research into what would have to be prioritised to make the game run according to the desired outcome.

Movement:

This is the first mechanic I looked into, the idea of a runner is that the general movement of the character along a linear path is controlled. What I would be looking into is whether or not the character could jump over obstacles, slide under them or if there is multiple paths the character would be able to move left or right to avoid these obstacles.

Losing: 

In order to ensure the game has an end in an endless runner, the player would have to be forced into an end, defeat or loss. To achieve this the player will be forced to overcome, avoid or someone dodge obstacles in their path which would result in their defeat at either the obstacle or an antagonistic force chasing the player

Score:

Videogames can be addictive due to the positive feeling we get from the achievements in the game by either completing tasks, levels or outperforming our fellow players in the game. For a game such as the one I have decided to pursue a score would be needed preferably that of a numerical value. To make the game more enjoyable the score would be visible at all times on the HUD and the speed at which the score would go up would increase with the speed at which the player goes at the further they go into the game.

                                    Man winning after running



https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/practical-game-design/9781787121799/1386e27f-1d06-414e-af78-17a9f2abb39a.xhtml


Comments

  1. Hey Cormac,

    Interesting game idea. Similar to my own as I am also doing an endless runner style game. It seems like you have a lot of ideas but I was wondering if you have a theme for the runner yet? When I was reading it I was imagining it was in the style of the Olympics and the player was jumping over hurdles and dodging under larger hurdles. I am interested to know what kind of style you are going to take in the game. Have you thought about what kind of images you want to have within your game design yet? I cant wait to see your idea come to life and see where you go with it.

    Thanks,
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cormac.

    I loved this blog. I found it extremely interesting. We have similar ideas but different approaches. I think using a numerical value in your game for the scoring is a great idea considering the fact that it will draw the player into the game. All the best and I wish you all the best in making your game.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. TAG Task: Hello Cormac I really like the idea of the temple run style runner game I feel like this idea is very accessible to a wider audience and is very fun and addictive to play which means people would keep going back to play more and more. It looks like you did a lot of great research on the topic. I wonder did you consider adding an aesthetic to the game which will give the player more of a visual experience. Suggestion would be to pick a cool theme run with that. Maybe think about adding some surroundings sounds or other things to add to the overall experience of the game you could do this in accordance with what you are interested in. Overall I really like your idea as growing up I love playing Temple run and games in the similar genre to that so I'd say it will be a great project !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cormac

    Very good game idea. I really enjoyed playing Temple Run and Subway Surfers so I would love to see how this game turns out and I really look forward to playing it. I wish you the best of luck with your game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts