Feedback Strategies

 http://marshallgoldsmith.com/articles/try-feedforward-instead-feedback/

After reading this article I was intrigued by its method to help improve oneself from the constructive critiques from others. By suggesting an undesirable trait one may have a person is admitting to being flawed with acknowledges a desire to change and by suggesting ways to improve in the future and not by looking to their past actions can create a sense of a new beginning. This method I believe will be highly successful due to its direct yet caring approach.


https://hbr.org/2017/05/why-do-so-many-managers-avoid-giving-praise

I chose to read this article as I have been on the receiving end of both positive and negative feedback at work and I wondered if the conclusions made in the article were similar in any way whatsoever to my own experiences. I found I could agree that managers give more negative critiques than praise to be something I agree with as I have only ever been praised by my managers once in three years but I could receive weekly praise from fellow workers on my level and those slightly above me in the hierarchy. I agreed with this excerpt from the article;

"We can only conclude that many managers feel that it’s their job to tell their direct reports bad news and correct them when they make a mistake, but that taking the time to provide positive feedback is optional."

This statement reminds me of how management can be; quick to criticise because mistakes are unacceptable but unwilling to praise because its our job and we already get paid to do so. This train of thought can result in a negative impact for the employee as the negative feedback sticks and there is no positive feedback for them to fall back on.

                                            People with empty speech bubbles




Comments

Popular Posts